ZUCCHINI AND SWEET POTATO LOAF, a recipe from Donna Hay.
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 small brown onion, , finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tablespoons rosemary leaves, chopped
2 rashers (140g) bacon, chopped (rind removed)
300g zucchini, grated
250g sweet potato, peeled and grated
1 cup (80g) finely grated parmesan
1 cup (150g) self-raising flour, sifted
sea salt and cracked pepper
5 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup (125ml) buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Heat the oil in a medium non-stick frying pan over high heat.
- Add the onion, garlic, rosemary and bacon and cook for 4-5 minutes or until lightly golden.
- Place in a large bowl with the zucchini, sweet potato, parmesan, flour, salt and pepper and mix to combine.
- Make a well in the centre, add the eggs and the buttermilk and mix to combine.
- Spoon into a lightly greased 2-litre-capacity loaf tin lined with non-stick baking paper.
- Bake for 1 hour or until golden and a skewer inserted comes out clean. Allow to cool slightly before serving.
I cooked it in a round glass baking dish. The recipe says it serves 4 but I think you could easily feed 6.
When you grate the zucchini, squeeze out the excess water.
You could also add some more flavouring to the mixture (mustard or tomato chutney).
Very easy recipe to make, keep in the fridge if you don’t eat it all at once.
Serve with a green salad or as part of a tasting plate.